The North East Scotland Preservation Trust (NESPT) has purchased the former Clydesdale Bank at 34 Broad Street, Fraserburgh. It is a category B listed building designed by J. Russell Mackenzie in 1875 as the Town and County Bank.
Since closing three years ago, the building’s condition rapidly deteriorated mainly due to blocked internal downpipes and gullies. A programme of urgent repairs has been successfully completed and the building will soon be used as the site office during the project to convert the adjacent building at 5 – 13 Mid Street into a hotel.
Longer term, the NESPT hopes to see the building become a second phase of the hotel development, providing seven additional double, en-suite bedrooms accessed via a new lift, and greatly enhanced bar and dining facilities.
The purchase and repairs were made possible by generous financial support from the Aberdeenshire Council Town Centre Fund.